Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My writing habits throughout college

I've written so many documents in the years I've been attended Alverno that they've run together in my memory. A quick look through my "School Documents" folder reveals articles running from the impact of zebra mussels on the ecology of the Great Lakes, an analysis of how the movie Dead Man Walking changed my opinion on the death penalty, a PowerPoint illustrating the threat of white-tailed deer to Wisconsin drivers, and a list of why Edith Wharton is a progressive writer.

Most of what I've written throughout college could be split into two camps: interpretations of movies, books, poetry, and other media, and more factual documents intended to present concrete evidence about things such as psychology and the natural world (and oftentimes convince an audience). Although some of the assignments in both camps have given me trouble, it's a formula I'm comfortable with.

Oddly, though, I have two classes this semester that typically deviate away from this style. My creative writing class challenges me to create media such as poetry, short stories, and screenplays, things I would normally never touch. (The last time I made poetry on my own was middle school!) And my professional writing class is attacking a different and important front as well; proposals, news stories, advertisements.

The two are on very different ends of the spectrum, but both are poking and prodding on my writing abilities, making me attempt some styles I've never tried before. It's not easy, but in the end, I know it's for the best. I can't have a rigid style; I need to be flexible. And, at the conclusion of both my writing classes, I'll have acquired practice and information on how to do both kinds. It makes me happy to know that my abilities are expanding so that I can perform better work.

No comments:

Post a Comment