Wednesday, March 18, 2009

My professional career

Over the four years I've attended Alverno College, I've worked hard to find my areas of strength.

I have always loved history, mythology, literature, and the natural world. I toyed with the thought of being a veterinarian or a paleontologist as a child, but I didn't seriously consider my options until I moved onto college. I was contemplating becoming a biologist when I first enrolled, but those dreams were quickly squashed. Although I love animals, I could never become a Steve Irwin-style naturalist. I'm not much of a traveler and I don't have patience for the eccentricities of the outdoors. Science and math are also closely intertwined. After taking six years of Algebra-level courses, I've vowed to stay far away from math-heavy professions. The studies of a scientist didn't fit me, so I began focusing my interest in my English abilities.

I've been a voracious reader and writer since childhood. I quickly learned the finicky rules of English and expanded my vocabulary. Over my lifetime, I've acquired an uncanny ability to spot grammar and spelling errors in other people's works. I used to be timid speaker, but Alverno's aggressive policy on group-work and presentations have mended that weakness.

Almost everything I've written in college has been papers or feedback for my classes, the majority being focused on literature. However, this semester, I am taking both a creative writing class and a professional writing class. The two classes have challenged me to expand my writing experiences. The first's tasked me with writing original memoirs and stories, and the other, styles of media such as advertisements, newspaper articles and blogs. These new approaches will make my writing abilities more flexible -- a gift that will serve me well.

What kind of a career am I looking for with my experiences and abilities? Together with my planning for a career, I'm currently in the middle of planning an internship. My hope is that I'll be able to find an organization related to history and/or writing to intern in and learn more about the field. (I had been interested in some animal-related organizations, but they didn't work out.) I'm looking forward to applying my abilities in the workplace, and finding more about my potential niche.

1 comment:

  1. You did a fine job on this, Katie, and I am glad to see that you are developing a sense of what your professional identity is. Post your news story (after the minor edits) next.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete